Saturday 15 August 2015

An Ode To My Family

Families are strange creatures. Some are wonderful. Some are... not so wonderful.

Mine. Mine are wonderful and I know that I'm very blessed. Through the hardships and the occasional disagreements there's light and love. Each of them has their flaws, as they do their strengths. They've been through soul crushing lows and sky-high heights. Even though we sometimes don't want to talk to one another, there's always a connection there.

My mother is one of those women who's steered us through thick and thin. While she still might not understand that headphones mean we're listening to something and therefore can't hear her, she's done everything she can to make us happy. Even in times when we had no money, her love kept us going. She's taught us so much in how to live, guiding us when it's needed and being there when things get tough. No matter where we are in the world, she's made sure there's always a place for us to call “Home”.

Dad is a guy of few words. Unless it's to crack a joke. One of his favourite things is making us laugh. Even now that we're all grown up, he still loves nothing more than seeing us smile. He's taught us to hang pictures, build furniture, drive cars and do a myriad of other things that would otherwise require the skills of someone more professional. He made sure that our sixteenth birthdays heralded the arrival of our adult passports. No longer we were tied to travelling with our parents; he and Mum wanted us to know that the world was our oyster and that we should grab it with both hands.

Finally, there's my two little brothers who've grown into men I'm honoured to know. They make me laugh on a daily basis as well as including me in all that they do. Well accustomed to my mood swings, they'll check several times to make sure I really don't want to go and do something and try to persuade me that going out is for the good of my health. I know that, no matter what, they'll always be there for me just as I'm there for them.

They're my family and, no matter what we go through, I'll always be there for them. Whether your family are blood or one you've built from the friends that surround you, love them. Cherish them. Treasure them.


No comments:

Post a Comment